Veszprém – Regina Mundi Church of the Congregation of Jesus

Veszprém – Regina Mundi
Patronal festival
01-01
Historical description
Historical description 1701-1945
This church was built in 1860. It was designed in the English Romantic Gothic Revival style by the architect József Scharnbeck (Szentirmay), a relative of the bishop of Veszprém, János Ranolder. Sándor Horváth was the master mason, the painting and gilding were by János Schuldheisz, and the cast iron ornaments of the spire were made in the factory of Ignác Schlick. It was consecrated by the bishop János Ranolder on 16 September 1860. A Sacred Heart chapel was added to the southeastern side of t...Read more
This church was built in 1860. It was designed in the English Romantic Gothic Revival style by the architect József Scharnbeck (Szentirmay), a relative of the bishop of Veszprém, János Ranolder. Sándor Horváth was the master mason, the painting and gilding were by János Schuldheisz, and the cast iron ornaments of the spire were made in the factory of Ignác Schlick. It was consecrated by the bishop János Ranolder on 16 September 1860. A Sacred Heart chapel was added to the southeastern side of the nave, opening through its wall. Read less
Historical description 1945-
In 1948, the Sancta Maria Institute of the Congregation of Jesus was nationalized, and the convent chapel became a parish church. The interior was restored in 1960.
Current church data
Name
Roman Catholic church
Other popular names
Church of the Congregation of Jesus
Location
Veszprém, Iskola utca 5.; hrsz. 5745.
Level of protection
national monument
Heritage ref. number
4739
Heritage ID
10627
Heritage date
1958
Recommended for protection
national
Original style
convent church
Current defining style
Historicist, Neo-Gothic
Position in the church organization
parish
Supporting parish
Veszprém, Regina Mundi parish
General characteristics
This is a Romantic Revival-style church integrated into a row of buildings. It has buttresses and a gable roof covered in tiles. It is oriented to the southwest and has an apse narrower than the nave that terminates in three sides of a hexagon, as well as a tower that protrudes significantly from the façade that has a stone spire with four turrets. A school building adjoins it on the northwestern side. It has been extended with a small chapel on the southeastern side, which is not as high as the...Read more
This is a Romantic Revival-style church integrated into a row of buildings. It has buttresses and a gable roof covered in tiles. It is oriented to the southwest and has an apse narrower than the nave that terminates in three sides of a hexagon, as well as a tower that protrudes significantly from the façade that has a stone spire with four turrets. A school building adjoins it on the northwestern side. It has been extended with a small chapel on the southeastern side, which is not as high as the nave and is topped with battlements. The steeple of the church projects in front of the façade atop its high base, at the bottom of which there is a pointed-arched portal with a Wimperg gable. Above this is a small rose window followed by a niche decorated with Gothic tracery containing a sculpture of Mary. The façade of the church is connected to the body of the tower with a stepped gable parapet, below which there are niches with Gothic tracery containing the sculptures of St. Stephen and St. Emeric. The side façades are articulated by buttresses with Gothic windows in between. The street-side façade of the side chapel is decorated with a rose window and topped with battlements, and its side façade is articulated by buttresses with Gothic windows in between. The apse and the three-aisled nave is covered with rib vaulting, and there is an organ gallery with a wrought iron balustrade over the entrance. Read less

Parishes

Settlements

Settlement
Veszprém
Templomadatbázis